Here’s something which worked.
… simply index the network files as a workaround.
Add a non-indexed UNC as a library
1. Create a folder on your hard drive for shares. i.e. c:\share
2. Create another folder in the above share. i.e. c:\share\music
2. Link the Library to this folder.
3. Delete the folder.
4. Use the mklink in an elevated command prompt to make a symbolic link. Name the link the same as the folder you created above.
i.e – mklink /d c:\share\music \\server\music
5. Done. Now you have non-indexed UNC path as a library.
But it appears to be slow.
Here’s another reference to the same topic.